Saturday, August 17, 2013

Idea to fingerprint those in NYC who get public housing


An excerpt:
But residents who live within the confines of NYCHA buildings said the mayor’s fingerprinting idea goes too far. 
“That’s like invading someone’s privacy or something. Why you want to fingerprint somebody?
I don't have much sympathy for this argument because the government is invading the economic liberty of every other taxpayer by forcing them to pay for this person's housing.  If someone chooses to take other people's money, it's tough for me to buy into an argument that their privacy is being "invaded".  They can avoid their privacy being invaded by paying for their own housing.  
The reason behind the ban ...
“Five percent of our population lives in NYCHA housing, 20 percent of the crime is in NYCHA housing – numbers like that. And we’ve just got to find some way to keep bringing crime down there. And we have a whole group of police officers assigned to NYCHA housing,” 
This doesn't seem so bad to me ... in fact, if I did receive public housing, I'd like to have this system in place as I suspect it would keep me safer.  Further, I can't imagine the cost on this is too high.  

1 comment:

  1. I forget what state it was. But they passed a law requiring welfare recipients to take a drug test if they wanted to receive welfare benefits. After the program was implemented they found that the number of people applying for welfare benefits that had drugs detected by the test was much lower than the general population as a whole. The rights of all citizens under the constitution should be equally protected regardless of the income levels class status level of education or anything else for that matter..

    ReplyDelete