Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The impact of Obamacare ... one person's story

This was a status update that my brother shared on facebook (this isn't my brother talking, he just shared the status) ...

So I got a letter from Bluecross Blueshield, my health insurance provider, on Saturday. It explained that my current plan, the plan I chose to fit my individual needs, does not comply with Obamacare and thus had to be cancelled. It went on to say that I shouldn't worry because I had been automatically moved to new plan that does meet the new Obamacare requirements. The details of my new plan are just excellent. My deductible went from $1500 up to $2500, that's 66%. My limit on annual out of pocket expenses went up from $1500 to $6350, up 323%. I'm now covered for a bunch of things I don't want or need, like mental illness inpatient and substance abuse inpatient treatment coverage. Now a rational person might assume that when something I chose to buy, and wanted to keep was taken from me, it would at least cost less to pay for the thing that was forced onto me. Well that's the best part! My monthly premium went up from $139.50 to $229.19, an increase of 65%! I get to pay MORE for something I don't even want...

This is sick.  I fear what will happen once all the regulations are put into place.

Didn't our elected leaders learn enough from the fall of communist countries to know that the economy is too complex for the government to control?  The laws need to be changed to limit special deals for insurance companies, limit the right to sue, and more.  Less government control and more competition - not the opposite.

I wonder ... will those who voted for Obama help those of us who didn't pay for Obamacare?  Somehow I doubt that will be "change they can believe in".  

No comments:

Post a Comment