Monday, June 10, 2013

Assorted Links

1. Great discussion on the Freakonomics blog about whether to pay blood donors.  

2. CNN story on Clarence Thomas.  It's got a left-wing slant to it, but is otherwise interesting.  My favorite excerpt:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/09/us/clarence-thomas-three-questions/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

"As a child in the Deep South, I'd grown up fearing the lynch mobs of the Ku Klux Klan; as an adult, I was starting to wonder if I'd been afraid of the wrong white people all along. My worst fears had come to pass not in Georgia but in Washington, D.C., where I was being pursued not by bigots in white robes but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

3. Harvard's top nutritionist is behaving in an unethical manner and is anti-science.  I know many people in public health, and the ones I work with are super people who do their best to let objective research drive their results.  This guy is terrible, however. Those who try to hide and discredit results, like this Harvard nutritionist (and some of the global warming folks) hurt the credibility of all serious researchers.

4. Marginal Revolution has a good (short) analysis on where the data spying is going.


No comments:

Post a Comment