Monday, June 30, 2014

What I've been reading

1. Flash Boys

This book is quite good, although I have some concerns and issues.  I also think the moral of the story is one that's been missed by our politicians.  Look for a longer upcoming review on this blog.

2. Cuckoo's Calling

As a big fan of the Harry Potter books, I wanted to give this book a shot.  (Even after reading A Casual Vacancy, which wasn't good.)  This book is OK, but I've stalled.  I find myself wanting to read other books instead.

3. The Economic Naturalist

This book came out several years ago, but I finally obtained a copy after some economists at the teaching conference I attended mentioned it provided useful examples to use when teaching.

They were correct.  The book asks a series of interesting questions and uses logic and economic reasoning to try to discover the answer.  I recommend this book.


4. Think Like a Freak

I thought Freakonomics was wonderful and Superfreakonomics was the worst book I've ever read.  They're online content is reasonably good, though, so despite my displeasure with their last book, I took a chance on this one.  I wasn't disappointed.  It's much more like Freakonomics, where they tackle small problems.  My 12-year old (who reads more than anybody I know - adults or children - liked it as well).

They claim this will improve your thinking.  I'm not certain about that, but it is a quick, fun, and interesting read.

5. The Curmudgeon's Guide to Getting Ahead

Outstanding advice.  I'm making my children read it!

6. Political Trivia

OK, so it may seem a bit odd that I'm reading my own book.  That said, I'm planning to update it with questions from the past year along with a few new categories.  This review is helping spot where more questions are needed.

In the queue:

* The SU freshman reading compilation on humor.

* A Good Walkthrough Spoiled: The Best of Mike Tanier at Football Outsiders

* Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims: Time-Travel Adventures with Exceptional Americans

* Nothing Like a Dame: Conversations with the Great Women of Musical Theater




No comments:

Post a Comment