Sunday, December 23, 2012

What I've been reading

Most of my recent reading list has been non-economics, but instructive nonetheless.  Recently I've read:

* No Matter What, They'll Call this Book Racist." By Harry Stein.  A great book about race in the USA.  The quote that stuck with me from this book was one he had from Walter Williams.  "The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn't do, what Jim Crow couldn't do, what the harshest racism couldn't do.  And that is to destroy the black family."  

* The Dark Side of Disney.  By Leonard Kinsey.  This book is quite interesting, if you're a Disney World fan.  It goes through many interesting ways this person (and other he interviewed) have exploited loopholes in or around Disney World.  I found the sections describing an adventure somebody took to a former Disney "park" on an island fascinating.   

* The Litigators.  By John Grisholm.  I enjoy Grisholm's books, even though his leftist activism sometimes creeps it's way into the books.  This was one of his better books, in my opinion.

* Priceless.  By John C. Goodman.  This book is amazing.  As an economist, the rules and regulations of the healthcare market seemed so difficult I used to struggle trying to dig into the topic.  This book is, by far, the best writing on health care in our country.  It goes through and systematically describes all the ways that the market system has been removed from healthcare in our country, and how we've suffered the consequences.  All members of Congress should be required to read this.

* The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld/Disneyland.  We have an upcoming trip to DW ... Nothing more to say about this, except this book is quite good.


In the queue:

* In My Time.  By Dick Cheney.  I enjoy political biographies/autobiographies, and am looking forward to this one.

* The Fellowship of the Ring and 2nd/3rd books in the series.  I had these on the list last time, but have been stalled during the semester and with other books.  I'm halfway through the first of the trilogy.

* The Racketeer.  By John Grisholm.

My queue is shorter than normal, although it'll probably be replenished on Christmas.








No comments:

Post a Comment