Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A New Semester Begins ...

Technically, the new semester began yesterday.  However, since I'm on a Tuesday/Thursday teaching schedule this term, it starts for me today.  

I always get excited for a new semester.  I'm lucky to have a job I love and I love the classes I get to teach.  This semester I teach principles of microeconomics and political economic thought.  Both are fun in different ways.  The principles class is where many students will find out that economic reasoning can be used to explain many different phenomena in our world.  Principles of microeconomics was the first class where everything "clicked" for me.  I couldn't believe there were analytical tools that explained the world so well.  The political economic thought course is fun as it is restricted to upper-level students and we are reading economic analysis from many intelligent economists from the left and right.  Further, after all the bitter political talk you see in the news, it's nice to see a class where students are debating with civility. 

I demand a lot from my students - more than many professors, in my opinion.  At the start of every semester, I always think of the song "Whipped Into Shape" from Legally Blonde the Musical and what I expect from my students.  The goal is to help them think better, but it won't always be easy ...  

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DyqLN3wtPTw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


No comments:

Post a Comment